Well we are a week or two into a (refined) sugar free New Year so what better time to share this Sugar free slow cooker BBQ chicken. Delicious, nourishing and super simple to make – the perfect family meal without unnecessary calories.
I’ve been trying out the Walden Farms sauces and marinades and I have to say that I am super impressed. I’ve mentioned before that I would still consider them ‘sometimes’ foods because they do contain a sweetener I wouldn’t usually use or recommend, but as a sometimes food they are a great alternative to the sugar-laden versions! You can buy the Walden Farms marinades online at Flush Fitness 🙂
Why I love their guilt-free marinades!
- 99% sugar free
- 98% fat free
- 96% carb free
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Natural flavours
Another appliance I am loving this year (who am I kidding, I find a new found love for it every year) is my slow cooker! Literally makes meal prepping so simple and hassle free! I know Thermomix is all the rage right now but don’t forget about your little old (and SUPER CHEAP) slow cooker! It does just a good job at assisting you in the kitchen!
For this sugar free slow cooker BBQ chicken recipe I used organic chicken drumsticks. I’ve talked a heap before about why I will choose (and pay for) organic chicken over regular chicken but each to their own. If you’re not convinced the extra dollars are worth it then my only advice is to do your own research and make an informed decision.
On to the cooking!
Sugar free slow cooker BBQ chicken
- Calories: 201kcal
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 26g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fibre: 4g
- Sugar: 5g
- 8 organic chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup Walden Farms Spicy BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 brown onions
- 6 mushrooms
- 2 zucchinis
- seasonal salad to serve
- Quarter the onions and add together with the chicken drumsticks to a slow cooker;
- Pour over the Spicy BBQ sauce and water and set the slow cooker on high for at least 2 hours (ensure the chicken is cooked through - it should be easily removed from the bone);
- Roughly chop the zucchini and mushrooms and add to the slow cooker. Cook for a further 30 minutes;
- Remove the lid if needed for the last 10 minutes for the sauce to thicken;
- Serve the chicken drumsticks with seasonal salad.
- Remove the skin before eating for a low-fat meal;
- Add your favourite seasonal vegetables to the slow cooker. You can add potatoes, sweet potatoes or other root vegetables to the slow cooker for a more filling meal;
- Serve with brown rice or sweet potato for a healthy low GI carbohydrate.