If you follow Pretty Wee Things on Instagram you will know I am a lover of all things oats for breakfast (actually, mostly Zoats – zucchini oats, but anything made with oats). Last week I made a delicious and nutritious bowl of apple pie oats to celebrate Pretty Wee Things turning ONE, and because they tasted so good I thought it only fair that I shared the recipe with you.
I also wanted to say THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart, to all of you who follow along. I can’t quite believe I have been blogging at Pretty Wee Things for a whole year, and I am soooo super excited about what is in store for Pretty Wee Things this next year! I have some extra goodies in store for all you lovelies so stay tuned, and make sure you are subscribed to be the first to know.
Back to the apple pie oats!
If you loved my raspberry chocolate layered zoats, then I can (almost) guarantee that you will love these apple pie oats. To be honest, these are probably better because they are so sweet and apple-pie like (of course), and they are PINK, which makes anything amazing. YUM! Also, as an added bonus (and because they are healthy, of course), they are refined sugar free, dairy free and vegan!
- ½ pink lady apple (or any sweet red apple)
- 30 g organic quick oats
- ¼ + cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp gogi berries
- 1 tbsp berry powder (you can buy this at most health food stores)
- 1 tsp stevia (I prefer Natvia)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Coconut milk
- Maca powder
- home toasted buckwheat
- ½ zucchini, finely grated
- Grate the apple using a normal sized grater;
- In a stove pot, add the oats, grated apple, (optional grated zucchini), and enough water to cover;
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes, or until the oats are thick and creamy and cooked. The water should be fully absorbed. You may need to add more water;
- Stir in a splash of coconut milk, stevia, berry powder and cinnamon and stir (optional - add ½ tsp maca powder at this point);
- Spoon into a breakfast bowl and top with coconut milk and toasted buckwheat, or top with slices of the other half of the apple.